Thursday, June 08, 2006

Let's Get Ready To Rumble

The Copa Mundial.

The World Cup.

It's finally here. After 4 long years of waiting. Japan Korea 2002 was memorable. The remarkable run of the Koreans into the semifinals (it's the ginseng I tell you), the emergence (and subsequent fizzle) of Senegal. The German machine that blindsided everyone to make it to the finals on the back of what some might consider mediocre talent.

What's in store this year? All will be revealed over the next month.


I'll go on record as saying that I fancy Argentina this year. The burgeoning talent of Messi, the battlehardened guile of Riquelme (nevermind what happened in the Champion's League semi against Arsenal), the wild-haired running of Sorin. Heinze is back after a horrific knee injury, but he's far from match fit. Hitmen Carlos Tevez and Hernan Crespo are not brilliant, but they get the job done. Throw in veteran defenders Ayala and the emerging Coloccini and you have quality up and down the spine of the team.

My only worry? The goalkeeper. German Lux hardly inspires confidence in me and he looked shaky in the 2 games I watched Argentina play in recently. I have my fingers crossed.

Whatever happens... The Beautiful Game is here....

5 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the first comment by buggy

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OLE OLe Ole ole....World Cup 2006 is finally here! Cant wait anymore for the kickoff tonight at 00:00! Costa Rica is going to triumph as underdogs always win the first match!

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oi Vey to that!

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it'll be a low scoring affair, with the Germans playing it safe in the first half. They'll try to sit back and nick a goal.

If the match goes 0-0 into the second half, look for the Germans to start throwing men forward.

For my money, I think they'll win it 1-0, getting their World Cup campaign off to a cautious start.

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kheva,

Me too! *wink wink*

What you planning to do with the payoff? :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home