Monday, September 11, 2006

Reds Run Over


Ouch ouch ouch.

Fairplay to Everton. From the looks of the scoreline, they played my beloved Reds off the park.

I (mercifully) didn't manage to catch the game, but I did watch a bit of the match highlights. In all fairness, so many things went wrong, we deserved to get smacked for 3.

Reina.

Just heard from Kheva that he will be benched in favour of Dudek after his comical performance in the derby. The juggling act on the line on Everton's second goal was something I've not seen a top-flight keeper do. Ever. I'll go on record to say that I never was that sold on Reina. Sure, he set (or equaled, I forget) the record for most consecutive clean sheets last season. But he was playing behind one of the safest backlines in football. Now with Hyypia one year older and Carra one ankle down, he's starting to show his flaws. I've always found him rather jittery. Dudek isn't that much better, what with his Istanbul heroics and all. It was a series of howlers which got him benched to begin with! Calamity James? His moniker says it all. One Reds keeper whom I genuinely liked and provided the safe feeling keepers are supposed to provide was good old Kirkland. Too bad poor Kirky has the body and constitution of a crystal wine glass. His talent is undeniable. Hopefully his body holds up. We can still take him back from his loan spell to Wigan. RAFA! Are you listening?

Tactics.

Fowler up front. Carragher back in the cauldron. Every soccer pundit fancies himself as the master tactician, but I don't think any of us would have gone with a half-fit Carra at the back, with an utterly rampant Andy Johnson scoring goals for fun. Fowler up front is another noodle-scratcher. Does Rafa honestly think that he has to rest players on international duty? Kuyt would have still been fresh and full of running. It's the FIRST MONTH OF THE SEASON for crying out loud. It's not as if these fella have run 5 marathons in a row. I also heard that Senor Benitez didn't exactly cover himself in glory with his post-match excuses of international duty taking it's toll on the players. Rafa, I love you, but give credit where credit is due.

History.

First time Everton has knocked 3 goals past Liverpool in 40 years.

40 years.

40 years ago, I was minus 11 years old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home